The Rise of Rutzo (Early Beginings)
Hi all, Rudy “Rutzo” Delgado here. Welcome to the about me! The Early Years I started with the Sega Genesis whilst I lived in Mexico with only one game: Sonic the Hedgehog. I didn’t have the most exposure to gaming early on but when we bought the Sega Genesis in 2000 I would always find myself losing my patience over having my older sister always winning all the bets, beating all my scores, and flat out hogging (see what I did there?) the game time.
After I had had enough of having to share the system with the entire household, I decided to get my own. At 13 years old I talked my way into two summer jobs in Balboa, California. At the Bay Arcade I took a part time position for $7.75 an hour and I would spend every lunch playing Tekken with the free tokens they’d give me during lunch. At Pizza Pete’s they offered me $5.25 + tips and free pizza (I might have been in it more for the free pizza than the money, truthfully.)
After my first $735.17 biweekly paycheck from both jobs I took my first trip to Gamestop, bought a SNES and equipped that bad boy with Super Metroid and a 12 month subscription to Game Informer. From that point on, I let the games begin. You think I’m kidding? Gaming Rap Sheet:
2003 – 2011
- Games bought and played through:
- Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Monkey Hero, Grand Turismo, Dance Dance Revolution Konamix (with dance pad), Final Fantasy VII, Space Jam, Spider-Man, Ton Hawk’s Pro Skater (Demo), Tarzan, Spyro.
- Games bought and played through:
- Nintendo 64
- Smash Bros, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Stadium, GoldenEye 007, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, WWF No Mercy, MarioKart 64, Donkey Kong 64, Blues Brothers.
- Gameboy Color
- Pokemon Yellow Version, Red Version, Blue Version, Gold Version, Silver Version, Pokemon Pinball, Powerpuff Girls: Paint the Town Green, Babe and Friends (Yeah, I know, but it was $2 at the swap meet), Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Donkey Kong Land, Yu-gi-oh – Dark Duel Stories, Dexter’s Labratory Robot Rampage.
- Games: Super Smash Bros, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Sonic Heroes, Naruto, Shadow the Hedgehog,
- Playstation 2
- Lord of the Rings – The Two Towers, The Return of the King, NBA Street, Madden ’07, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X AND X-2, Tekken 4, Jak and Daxter ,DragonBall Z, Spider-Man, Shadow of Colossus, Viewtiful Joe 2, Soul Calibur II, Call of Duty 2, Urbz – Sims in the City, Midnight Club, Tak and the Power of JuJu, Kelly Slater’s Pro Surfer, Smackdown vs. Raw.
- Playstation 3
- Little Big Planet, God of War 1, 2, and 3, Call of Duty Black Ops, Dead Nation.2016
- PC MASTER RACE
- League of Legends, Minecraft, WoW, Diablo 1 – 3, Overwatch, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and games I casually find on Steam.
I went from spending all my monies on games, to saving up for conventions, to eventually hosting my own events during college at Long Beach State.
My like of gaming and the gaming culture has only increased throughout the years, here’s some proof:
- Introduced to CSULB eSports Association
- Sat in the backseat while leadership organized community events, and fundraisers.
- I didn’t thinking much of it, yet I took some notes throughout the process.
- Gained the leadership role of Public Relations Exec at CSULB eSports Association and had NO idea what I was doing.
- Got acquainted with other eSports organizations by attending their events that I found on Facebook.
- Attended my first expo – Long Beach Comic Con.
- Met more organizers in the same position as me.
2015 (This is the year I spent learning EVERYTHING)
- Learned about eSports Events by attending, speaking to leadership, gathering references, developing a long pitch, an elevator pitch, and gaining business cards from sponsors at the booths I ran across, following up, and maintaining communication until we had events.
- Friends from the Gamer’s Guild helped explain what eSports events were, how to make them happen, and everything in between.
- Directed For the Love of Games! with the rest of the CSULB eSports staff and Gamer’s Guild.
- Sat in the back seat as Gamer’s Guild secured sponsors and walked me through the process.
- 350+ attendees.
- $1,000 Raised for CHOC’s Children.
- Sat in the backseat for Beachcon (Beachcon.org) and learned about maintaining relationships via spectating directors of event and listening in on meetings with sponsors.
October 2015 – GAME TIME BABY
- Director of Fright for A Cause!
- 470+ Attendees.
- $1,700+ Raised for CHOC’s Children.
- Sponsors secured: RedBull, iBuyPower, eSports Arena, Rosewill, Tespa, EVGA, KIND Snacks, Atlus USA, neuro, GG Culture and Apparel.
- Took part in Collegiate Colosseum (an intercollegiate, international event sponsored by Tespa) planning/behind the scenes magic.
- Executive Director Assistant.
- BEACHCON 2016!
- Director of Beachcon and VP of external affairs (Essentially I’m the magical elf who gathers the sponsors for prizing and infrastructure)
- Sponsors secured: Corsair, Razer Arena, iBUYPOWER, Rosewill, Tespa, EVGA, KIND Snacks, eSports Arena, RedBull, Soylent.
2015 Involvement: Tespa, Riot Games – Charity Sleepover at HQ, Gamer’s Guild, Anime California, Touhoucon, Fright for A Cause!, iBUYPOWER Cup, Long Beach Comic Expo, Long Beach Comic Con.
2016 Involvement: Collegiate Colosseum, eSports Arena, iBUYPOWER, Beachcon 2016, Titan Con: First Impact. *I’ve been going through these events, directing, hosting, volunteering, all while maintaining two jobs, going to school full time, playing Rugby, and maintaining leadership roles in the organizations I’ve been a part of. GG WP. This year I aim to hit higher caliber events, and create larger opportunities for myself and everyone involved 🙂
Project: Rutzo 2.0 is in full effect. GAME TIME.
If you have any events coming up and you need a little support, let me know! Leave me a comment or email: [email protected]